In May of 1922, Trinity Church and Grace Methodist Episcopal Church united to form the present Trinity United Methodist Church.
Construction of a grand, new gothic edifice began in August of that same year. Architect Harold B. Willis of the firm of Allen and Collens if Boston were chosen to design and oversee construction.
As you face the completed structure today, construction of the building began in stages from right to left. The building to the right of the bell tower containing Asbury Hall, gym, pool, church offices and multiple classrooms was built first, followed by Grace Chapel, the Carillon Tower, and finally the new sanctuary which was finished and dedicated on May 29th, 1929.
A new, 3-Manual, 26-rank duplex Austin Organ (Opus 1289) was installed in a rear chamber of Grace Chapel in 1925 and the bell tower was constructed in 1928.
The Church also contracted with the Ernest M. Skinner Organ Company of Boston to build a new 4-manual, 48-rank organ comprising of approximately 3,000 pipes for the new sanctuary. Opus 729 was dedicated in the spring of 1929. A prepared-for Solo division was never installed. The specification of the organ at the time showed remarkable influence upon Ernest Skinner by the work and advice of English organ builder Henry Willis, III and of G. Donald Harrison, who came to work for the Skinner Company from the Willis firm in 1927.
In 1967, the Grace Chapel Austin organ underwent tonal alterations by the Bolton Organ Company of Framingham, resulting in a slightly altered specification. Unfortunately, the cramped chamber installation makes for a rather unsatisfactory sound by today’s standards and the organ has not been updated since that time.
The specification is as follows:
* * * *
From 1968 to 1970, the sanctuary Skinner organ underwent rebuilding and tonal redesign by the Berkshire Organ Company of West Springfield producing the present voicing characteristics.
In 2007, Foley-Baker of Tolland, Connecticut completed Phase I, rebuilding the mechanical parts of the Great and Swell divisions of the Skinner organ and providing a refurbished, moveable, 3-manual, multiple-memory solid-state console with record/playback and a vast array of controls.
The soon to be completed Phase II will finish the mechanical portion and provide extensive tonal updates.
The following stoplist reflects the current specification: