Early in the 20th century, pastor Dr. Fred Winslow Adams envisioned building a church facility in Springfield that would inspire, nurture and exemplify the highest aspirations of humanity: civic, academic, artistic, religious and humanitarian.
Trinity United Methodist Church’s building is a beautiful example of Gothic Revival architecture, built as a “Community Cathedral” for meetings, education, recreation and worship. The church architects, Allen and Collens of Boston, worked with scores of artists and church members to create this structure; it was awarded first prize in the National Church Building Contest, held in conjunction with the Conference on Church Architecture in Cleveland, Ohio in 1930.
The Community House section was built first, and dedicated in 1923:
The chapel was built next, and dedicated in 1928:The sanctuary and the carillon tower were built last, and dedicated in 1929: